The EPs of 2012 were a spectacular list. I bought 46 EPs released in 2012 and narrowing it down to my favorites proved to be an enjoyable challenge. I decided to set the bar at an average song rating greater than 4. This left off 8 other notable EPs that had average song rating of 4. In a shorter format, I felt the higher average necessary otherwise a single great song could catapult an EP into this distinguishable class.
The other interesting thing about this list is the domination of bandcamp records. I have never seen this level of domination before with 8 of the top 11 coming from a single group. Bandcamp is not really a label and more of a store for self released albums. So, i guess it makes sense that bandcamp is more popular for the the shorter format.
The list below is the top 11 (using my album formula for ranking), all worth buying…
1. Marietta & Modern Baseball’s Couples Therapy (Bandcamp) – 9.773
2. Prawn’s Ships (Topshelf) – 9.761
3. Tony Clark’s As Dark As A Moonless Night (Bandcamp) – 9.758
4. Big Awesome’s Birdfeeder (Bandcamp) – 9.708
5. Our Sunday Affairs’ City of Dogs (Bandcamp) – 9.242
6. Eric Ayotte’s Causality (Bandcamp) – 9.241
7. Defiance, Ohio’s The Calling (Bandcamp) – 9.137
8. Marietta’s Demos (Bandcamp) – 8.767
9. Options’ Come Down (Bandcamp) – 8.617
10. Empire, Empire (I Was A Lonely Estate) / Mountain For Clouds / Two Knights / Driving on City Sidewalks Split (Count Your Lucky Stars) – 8.293
11. Spraynard’s Exton Square (Asian Man) – 7.990