I will update the site over the next few weeks with my favorite albums, songs, and labels. I am going to start with my longstanding belief that favorite album compilations should lag by two years for two primary time constraining reasons: to address the staying power of the album and to acquire a suitable number of fine albums.
So, let’s start with 2010.
I bought 48 EPs in 2010. It seemed like a lot of EPs to me. It turns out it is. It is 7 more EPs that i have from any other single year. Even more impressive is the fact that with the exception of 2009, every year is less than 27. So, 48 is a lot of EPs for me.
Also, I decided to list every EP that had average song rating greater than 4, since they would all be worthy of mentioning and buying. I have 13 EPs that earned that distinction.
1. Mixtapes’ A Short Collection of Short Songs (Animal Style) – 9.760
2. Jazz Hands’ The Party EP (Death to False Hope) – 9.677
3. Mixtapes/Direct Hit! Split EP (Kind of Like Records) – 9.674
4. Annabel’s Here We Are Tomorrow (Tiny Engines) – 9.451
5. Cloud Nothings’ Leave You Forever (True Panther Sounds) – 9.334
6. For Hours and Ours’ On A Weekend EP (Ground Records) – 9.257
7. Cattle Drums’ The Boy Kisser Sessions (Bandcamp) – 9.251
8. Mixtapes’ Thought About Growing Up (Death to False Hope) – 9.187
9. Sun Kil Moon’s I’ll Be There (Caldo Verde) – 9.143
10. The Tallest Man on Earth’s Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird (Dead Oceans) – 9.058
11. Wavelets’ Friends Followed by Actions (Self Released) – 9.049
12. Gospel Music’s Duettes (Fierce Panda) – 8.822
13. RVIVR’s Dirty Water (Yoyo) – 8.311